2011/08/17

Musical influences on SMiLE?

Source: http://www.comiclist.com/smileshop/viewtopic.php?t=5411&start=15
Message Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:47 am
from the Smile Shop MSGboard by 'Chalk & Numbers'




Hi All,


Peter, I had to say "thank you" for your kind words. Mac and I are having great fun researching and writing, and (I know I can speak for Mac here as well) we're grateful for the opportunity to contribute to the book...which is sure to be a cornerstone of any SMiLE fan's library.


Thanks to CC, too, for thinking of me.


gf: Thanks for the Les Paul suggestion. I will pursue it.


I keep an eye on the conversation around here, but lately the tone of that conversation has been a bit off-putting. The generous spirit of collaborative discovery appears to have ebbed. Take a spin through some of the old saved threads, and maybe you'll see what I mean. Too many posts are met with derisive, contemptuous, smarmy reactions; and many posts are devoted to excessively narrow, technical points that don't seem to be made in the context of an overall "human" appreciation of the SMiLE music. Some days - please excuse the strained metaphor - I feel like a bunch of vivisectionists has taken over a community built by and for a group of animal lovers. No point in saying any more; I wouldn't want my comments to be taken as personal criticisms (they're not intended as such).


This thread is very interesting. The idea of an "influences" compilation is an excellent one, and I think it might make for an enjoyable CD. Here are some specific suggestions:


More